[wplug] PCI or USB Wireless card recommendations?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Jul 31 09:02:48 EDT 2003

bgtrio at yahoo.com wrote:
> I've just set up a new machine.  I did the cd-to-hard-disk install
> from a Knoppix cd, and it's beautiful :)
>
> Now I want to move it to the basement and not run cables all the way
> downstairs.  I want to find a wireless PCI adapter that will, to the
> greatest extent possible, "Just Work"(TM).  I've got a pcmcia card
> for my redhat laptop that works just fine, but the first PCI wireless
> nic I tried (SMC2602W) is turning out to be more trouble than it's
> worth to get working.
>
> So mainly I'm looking for a recommendation- has anyone got a good
> card to recommend?  A usb adapter would be fine too.  I'm running a
> 2.4.20 kernel
> as of now.

	I just bought SMC stuff from a local retailer - MicroCenter (not
sure if they have a branch in PA) and it works fine under RH9.  After
rebates the switch was $30 and the PCMCIA cards were $10 - sure, it's only
802.11b, but for that price it was worth it.  There was also a Netgear
switch that, after rebate, was $0.  I have had good success with SMC in the
past....

	What are your issues?  Have you verified the device is seen by the
system (lspci)?  Have you inserted required modules?  I am not sure of
anything analogous to kudzu under Knoppix.  Do you have a (current) RH
install CD 1 you can boot just to look at the device info?

Don