[wplug] [OT] Booting Linux on a Compaq AlphaPC?

Alheid, Gregory alheidgj at upmc.edu
Wed Jul 30 10:14:01 EDT 2003

Me and a co-worker are installing RH 7.2 on an Alpha 433
workstation.

>From my Alpha knowledgeable co-worker I get this guidance;

First, instead of "set os_type nt" we are doing
"set os_type unix"

After that, at the SRM ">>>" prompt, enter

   sho device

You will see a "DK..." device, it will indicate a CD-ROM
or if older a "RRD..." device for the CD-ROM.

   b <device_name>      <== should work.

We are having problems with the video on 433, so we had
to do a text install;

  b <device_name> -fl single

You will come to a "aboot>" prompt, either a ? (or help)
will show a selection of possible boot options.

Did a "typical LINUX install" but we are having problems
with configuring for XFree86. We will be trying a different
video card "real soon now" to see if that helps.

Greg