[wplug] unused locales

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Thu Jul 24 14:36:24 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Keith Wolters wrote:

> I manage a RedHat 6.2 system whose /usr partition could use some
> cleaning up.  One potential candidate for recliming space seems to be
> /usr/share/locale/ where there are directories for a large number of
> locales.  I tried to identify which rpm packages own the files using 'rpm
> -qf /usr/share/locale/fr_FR' (picking one out of a hat) but that didn't
> match anything.  What I want to know is -- is there a utiliity to
> add/remove locales or am I safe just blowing them away?  I assume I
> might want to keep the 'en' and 'en_US' directories.

You might want to look into localepurge.  I know that you can download the
source code from the Debian package info page and compile it yourself.
I've been using it for a while and it's done a good job so far.

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key