[wplug] unused locales

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Jul 24 13:55:25 EDT 2003

This one time, at band camp, Keith Wolters said:

> I manage a RedHat 6.2 system whose /usr partition could use some
> cleaning up.  One potential candidate for recliming space seems to be
> /usr/share/locale/ where there are directories for a large number of
> locales.  I tried to identify which rpm packages own the files using
> 'rpm -qf /usr/share/locale/fr_FR' (picking one out of a hat) but that
> didn't match anything.

Some directories end up not being owned by a package, try checking a file
within the directory.

> What I want to know is -- is there a utiliity to
> add/remove locales or am I safe just blowing them away?  I assume I
> might want to keep the 'en' and 'en_US' directories.

You should probably keep the 'C' locale as well.

No tool that I know of, but I didn't spend too long looking. Parts of that
directory on my rh8 system are owned by glibc-common, some by man, a few
by kde, and some by noone.
That directory is also only use 11M on my system. Is that a significant
savings for you?

Assuming there isn't a tool, you could try moving the excess locales
somewhere safe for a test.

When I need more space on /usr I look at /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc
depending on the vintage of system. On some of my machines that accounts
for over 200M of space.

-james