[wplug] HP to offer Linux desktops....

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Jul 24 09:08:03 EDT 2003

Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> Two things:
>
> First, Knoppix rocks.  I love my Knoppix CD; it has saved my
> ass on more than one occasion.
	Yes - it's awesome.  I've only had one issue with a past release
that was NFS mount hostile and therefore could not do what I needed - but
it's simply awesome if you need the ability to test a device with zero
intervention from the native OS.

> Second, did Lindows ever do anything about the user always
> running as root? I know they caught some flak about that and
> I was wondering if they ever changed it.
	Dunno for sure - I never actually checked, but I think that was
altered in the 4.0 release.  One would like to believe that this would be a
major concern for a distro aimed at total neophytes.
	Still, I have to say that Lindows has been the best distro I've
tried to date at:
	- detecting and configuring my laptop modem with zero additional
intervention from me
	- detecting and configuring my laptop video for full 3D support with
zero additional intervention from me
	- setting up WINE/WINEX on my laptop blah blah blah.....

	I've not had the time to try Severn yet, but have a spare drive
waiting....  if history proves anything I'll probably get to it the day
before the second beta is released.

Don