[wplug] HP to offer Linux desktops....

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Jul 24 08:52:11 EDT 2003

Russ Schneider wrote:
> Vanco, Donald wrote:
>> ....on "Business Desktops"
>> http://www.open-mag.com/8522483279.shtml
>>
>> Bleeech.  Too bad it's Mandrake....
>
> ehem...
>
> I'm running Mandrake 9.1 here, thank you very much.
>
> I think if HP was offering laptops with Mandrake on them and that made
> them considerably cheaper than another because of the Windows OS that
> they HAVE to sell it with, then HP just moved to the front of my
> considerations as to whom I'd buy a laptop from.
>
> And think about it.  Mandrake is considered by many the easiest
> desktop flavor of Linux available (arguable, but that argument
> prompted me to begin using it) and these HP systems are for desktops,
> not for servers (of which I would assume RH would be their choice).
>
> The hardest part about Linux for most people is the installation.  You
> get machine preloaded with Mandrake, KDE, Mozilla, etc., and there's a
> little icon on the desktop for Internet, and Mail, etc., then people
> are going to be able to use it so easily it'll make MS's head spin. :)

	Yeah.  The Lindows desktop is quite something these days too,
although it's a bit TOO GUI locked for my taste.  Apparently MS thinks it
enough of a threat to allow Tiger Direct to match it's price - $49 for
Windoze XP.
	Lindows has a bootable "Desktop CD" now as well, but Knoppix still
kicks it's tail in functionality.

	I don't _really_ have anything against Mandrake, as in all honesty I
have not tried it since it's 7.x days, when it was extremely broken
(especially tools like DrakX or DuckDrak or whatevertheflip they call it)
and /extremely/ laptop hostile.  I tried to participate in the betas through
the 6 series, but they never seemed to fix anything contributors reported as
broken....  so we signed on with RH.

Don