[wplug] OT: Tivo question

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Jul 24 08:22:00 EDT 2003

Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> I know this is off topic, but a good friend of mine is at his
> wits end and I'm really trying to help him out.   Here is my question:
>
> A few weeks ago, the modem in his Tivo unit got fried.  Tivo
> needs to phone home occasionally to get TV schedules, etc.
> Well with the modem fried he knew the service would go
> bye-bye soon enough.  He ran down to the store and bought a
> wireless USB Ethernet connection and tried to plug it in.  No
> link, so he assumes that it has not recognized the USB
> device.  So he rather unfortunately decided to rerun the
> initial setup utility.  This utility requires that Tivo be
> allowed to dial home with the modem.   We think if we can get
> him out of this infinite setup issue, we can get a wireless
> Ethernet connection and all will be well.
>
> My assumption is that somewhere on that drive is a flat file
> with a bit that needs to be flipped that says the setup has already
> been run.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how if I yanked the drive and
> mounted it in my RedHat box I would go about finding this?
>

> I know it's a long shot.....but I told him I'd ask you all....

	If other suggestions fail 9th Tee sells modem repair kits:
http://www.9thtee.com/  but it will require l33t skilz as the inductors that
get fried are surface mount.  I have 3 series one machines myself - 2
standard and one "DirecTiVo", all hacked to 147 hours of record time.  I
lost a modem to a lightning strike, now all TiVos are on UPSes.  Neither
rain, nor snow, nor dead of night (OK - maybe rain or snow because it _is_
DSS) will keep me from my allotment of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
	I also see this guy is now doing quad drives.  Insane.  Having had a
TiVo crash - you lose everything.
	I've also purchased Japanese Maples and Wisteria from Herter's
Nursery (hosted by 9th Tee) and have been really pleased... but that
s WAY off topic...

Don
Suuurrrrf!  Tuuuurrrrf!