[wplug] OT: Tivo question

Teodorski, Chris cteodorski at ppg.com
Wed Jul 23 15:55:17 EDT 2003

I know this is off topic, but a good friend of mine is at his wits end and I'm really trying to help him out.   Here is my question:

A few weeks ago, the modem in his Tivo unit got fried.  Tivo needs to phone home occasionally to get TV schedules, etc.  Well with the modem fried he knew the service would go bye-bye soon enough.  He ran down to the store and bought a wireless USB Ethernet connection and tried to plug it in.  No link, so he assumes that it has not recognized the USB device.  So he rather unfortunately decided to rerun the initial setup utility.  This utility requires that Tivo be allowed to dial home with the modem.   We think if we can get him out of this infinite setup issue, we can get a wireless Ethernet connection and all will be well.

My assumption is that somewhere on that drive is a flat file with a bit that needs to be flipped that says the setup has already been run.

Does anyone have any idea how if I yanked the drive and mounted it in my RedHat box I would go about finding this?

I know it's a long shot.....but I told him I'd ask you all....