Reply-To Munging (Was: Re: [wplug] Red Hat beta Severn)

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Wed Jul 23 14:25:34 EDT 2003

The article seems to be a little close-minded.  The fact is, most list
based replies are in fact intended for the list and not solely the
original author.  The Reply-To just makes this easier.  It in no way
"limits choice" because if you *choose* to, you can send mail back to
the author only.  It doesn't limit choice any more than a
reply-to-author situation.

I think depends on the situation

Reply to list works well for situations where group discussion is
encouraged.  Examples are the wplug list and most open source project
development lists.

announcements.  For instance, I am on a list for
pittsburghultimate.org.  The list does not munge the reply-to and this
works well.  The list is meant for one way traffic for the most part.
If you have a question, you hit reply, and the mail goes to the author
who made the announcement and spares the rest of the list the needless
message.

	-Zach