[wplug] Severn on a laptop?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Jul 22 14:42:23 EDT 2003

Tim Lesher wrote:
> Has anyone tried the new Redhat "Severn" release on a laptop?
>
> I initially whooped for joy when I saw they appeared to include the
> ACPI kernel patches; the ACPI modules are all there and loadable.
> However, the only ACPI daemon that's apparent is klaptopdaemon, and it
> tells me that the ACPI install is incomplete--whether or not I've
> manually loaded the ACPI modules.

While I have not personally looked at them to judge ACPI content - I can
tell you that when it comes to RH releases the Release Notes are your
friend.  As far as I know the ACPI stuff is still, by and large, considered
not ready for prime time, and support for it is somewhat tenuous.  There's
just too many implementations of APM/ACPI for the distro folks to really
nail a config that will be "universally functional".

Don