[wplug] OpenOffice, StarOffice

Robert Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Sun Jul 20 15:13:00 EDT 2003

I have followed the discussion of OpenOffice/StarOffice with great interest.  As a consultant
desperate to get his clients out from under Microsoft, I have been looking for a replacement
for Microsoft Office.  I beleive that replacing MS Office is the single greatest strategtic
restraint on the adoption of the Linux desktop and open source software.

I truly wish I could tell people that OpenOffice is "ready for prime time", but it is not.  I too have
found it to be slow and unstable.  It has features whose use is undocumented/poorly
documented and/or of dubious value.  And aspects of its design left me mystified: why on
earth should closing the last word processor document throw me out of the word processor
completely?

OpenOffice/StarOffice actually replicates the worst features of the MS user interfaces.  I have
seen this again and again in open source software (cf Mozilla aping the Netscape interface).
Who ever said that Microsoft (or Netscape) knew how to design a user interface?  Surely, we
haven't fallen for the Bill Gates line, "It's what the market place has chosen!"  The
commerical UIs are driven by their owner's relentless need to publish more and more
"features" and revisions to maintain their revenue streams.  Why is the open source/free
software movement replicating that?

After twenty years of working with computers, I have come to the conclusion that the two
basic groups of computer users are: those who like to play around with computers and
those who don't.  Everybody on this mailing list is in the first group.  But I work with people
who aren't sure what a shift key does and with managers who don't know what databases
do.  If you think that they are a disappearing breed, think again: millions more are born every
year and will continue to be.

For them, Microsoft Word and Excel represent the worst that computers have to offer.  And
they are absolutely right.  Oh, they have to use a word processor and/or a spreadsheet, all
right.  But there is no word processor that they can get the basics of in 30 minutes -- as you
could with the old DOS program WordPerfect 4.2 (or with the old Borland QuattroPro
spreadsheets.)

That's all the features a lot of people ever want. And that's all the features that first-time users
need.  We are mesmerized by the "popularity" of Word and Excel.  We haven't figured out
that every day, Microsoft dragoons more people into using Word for the first time, turning
them into Word supporters because these users don't want to go through that learning
experience again.  (How many people tell you they love windows but have never seen
anything else?)  That's the reality behind Microsoft's "market accepted look and feel" which
so many open source/free software developers seem to want to emulate.

What we need is OpenOffice Lite, a stripped-down word processor, spreadsheet, etc for
first-time and/or non-power users that can be readily adopted in offices and schools.
OpenOffice Regular should also be ruthlessly redesigned to allow modules to be added to
the Lite version as needed.  (A side benefit of simpler software, of course, is almost always
increased stability and response time.)

Personally, I would love to work on that.  Alas, I went to the OpenOffice web site and found it
to be so badly designed as to shake my confidence in the future of the project..  I looked
high and low for help for a mere user and could find none.  I tried to find some source code to
browse -- to no avail.  I wanted a list that described the function of each of the files in
OpenOffice -- again, to no avail.

Make no mistake: Microsoft is a remarkably effective marketing organization.  It knows what
it is doing: get the first time users and don't let them see anything else.   We cannot let
ourselves fall into the trap of believing that Word or Excel are "market-tested" models for
anything.  Give the millions of new first-time users that appear every year an alternative, one
that can grow with their needs.  Figuring that you will capture existing Word and Excel users
just because you have a look-alike is plain silly.  Give them something better, too.  The
open source/free software movement has proven again and again it can do that.    But first,
as Abraham Lincoln said, "...we must disenthrall ourselves"