[wplug] OpenOffice, StarOffice

Andrew Biggadike biggadike at cmu.edu
Fri Jul 18 11:29:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 10:49, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in July Andrew Biggadike assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 09:36, Lance Tost wrote:
> | > So who's to blame?  OO or MS?
> |
> | In my opinion, MS: they're the ones with the closed standard that keeps
> | changing.
>
> in my opinion, society :). they're the ones who allowed ms to become the
> defacto standard. microsoft simply provides the crack, their customers
> choose to smoke it. sure some people have smoke it to 'fit in', but it was
> poor forward thinking that led us to where we are today.

Point taken.  But Microsoft certainly could make it easier to
interoperate with their format.  Though, it makes sense for them not to:
it helps to protect their position and decreases the value of programs
like OO.

To the original poster's point, though, I've noticed that anytime I add
any non-trivial formatting it gets slightly mangled on one end.  Stuff
like font characteristics (bold/underline/etc), centering, line spacing,
and justifying usually works fine; but things like bulleting, tables,
and headers give me trouble.

Andrew