[wplug] OpenOffice, StarOffice

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 09:36:14 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Sean McCune wrote:
> I like OpenOffice.  But beware the hype.  Its ok for reading/writing
> basic documents or spreadsheets in Word/Excel format.  But the moment
> you want to create something using some more intense formatting, it
> breaks down.  You can do it, and it will look fine in OpenOffice, but
> the story will be different when someone then opens it up in Word.

I had an interesting find concerning this... I created a doc in OO with
some tables and bulletted lists, etc.  Opened it in Word 2000 and it
looked awful.  The tables got cut off and all kinds of weird stuff was
happening.  I opened the same doc in Word 2003 Beta and it wasn't perfect,
but it looked much better... the table formatting was ok.  I think the
only thing that didn't work right was it used a different character for
the bullet (some symbol instead of a solid circle).

So who's to blame?  OO or MS?

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>