[wplug] FileSystem problems

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Tue Jul 15 13:00:07 EDT 2003

I seem to be having some problems with one of my servers and was
wondering where to start troubleshooting the machine. I would imagine
that it's at the hardware level.

A fileserver crashed yesterday with a kernel panic. This machine has
been running for nearly a year, solid. I started getting errors on the
hardrive during writes to the drive, and accessing was very slow. I ran
maxtor utilites on the drive and it found a few problems that the
software fixed. I reinstalled the server OS (RH7.3) and performed my
data recovery from backups. My backups are stored on the same system
but on a different HDD, which gets mounted with a script everynight and
has tarballs written to it, I also ran fsck -t ext3 on this drive
(/dev/hdb1).  I checked for a new backup this morning, and all was
well. I just tried mounting the drive a few minutes ago and had a ton
of bad sector attempt timeouts saying it cannot find a valid FAT
partition. I tried to run fsck on this partition I get this as a result:

[root at fileserver root]# fsck /dev/hdb1
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hdb1
Could this be a zero-length partition?
[root at fileserver root]# fsck -t ext3 /dev/hdb1
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hdb1
Could this be a zero-length partition?

These are two different ATA drives. One is a 20G and one is a 10G. I
thought it was kind of weird that this would happen to both drives one
day apart. possibly a controller problem on the motherboard?

Just looking for some leads here.

Mike