[wplug] 2 quick questions

billings at negate.org billings at negate.org
Tue Jul 15 10:41:24 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 10:23, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> I think these are crazy simple questions.
>
> Number one, I have a network interface and I do a ifconfig eth0 down
> followed by a ifconfig eth0 up.  Now I am unable to resolve any DNS
> names.  I checked resolved.conf and it contains the proper name
> servers.  What do I need to do to "reinitialize name resolution", I
> looked at the man pages for ifconfig and I don't see anything there.

'ifconfig eth0 up' just activates the interface, but it doesn't cause
the OS to run DHCP/BOOTP or assign an IP address, and possibly set up
proper routing.  Try 'ifup eth0'.

> Secondly, a coworker has a VMware session with RH9.0 on it (not
> officially supported by VMWare yet).  It installed fine and when it is
> given a static address it works like a champion.  However, it doesn't
> seem to be able to pull a DHCP address.  This might be a VMWare issue
> and not a Linux issue, but I'm not quite sure how to ascertain this.
> Any initial troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

I've always set up virtual hosts to use static IPs, or use the internall
NAT, so I can't be much help here.  I would suggest checking with the
DHCP server to make sure: 1.) it is allowed to give the virtual host a
lease.  I don't know your environment, but we don't give out IPs unless
the hardware address is registered.  2.) Is the DHCP recieving packets
from the virtual host?

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP