[wplug] 2 quick questions

Teodorski, Chris cteodorski at ppg.com
Tue Jul 15 10:23:27 EDT 2003

I think these are crazy simple questions.

Number one, I have a network interface and I do a ifconfig eth0 down followed by a ifconfig eth0 up.  Now I am unable to resolve any DNS names.  I checked resolved.conf and it contains the proper name servers.  What do I need to do to "reinitialize name resolution", I looked at the man pages for ifconfig and I don't see anything there.

Secondly, a coworker has a VMware session with RH9.0 on it (not officially supported by VMWare yet).  It installed fine and when it is given a static address it works like a champion.  However, it doesn't seem to be able to pull a DHCP address.  This might be a VMWare issue and not a Linux issue, but I'm not quite sure how to ascertain this.  Any initial troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris