[wplug] Mail

Chris vze2f6h6 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 14 09:31:24 EDT 2003

> > I have been intending to ask wpluggers about mail for some time and
> recently have noticed some threads.
> >
> > Would anybody amongst the knowledgable wpluggers have any interest in
> putting together a presentation about mail in all
> > its aspects?
> >
> > I think that an introduction that provides information about the
> concepts concerning mail would be useful, perhaps
> > starting with a walkthrough of the life of an email: initiator's
> keyboard to recipient's screen with mention of what
> > software can/should be used at each point and how to go about setting it
> up.
> >
> > I am thinking about from the administrator's perspective - 'What should
> I do to setup mail for my company's employees? I
> > want my users to be able to send and receive mail without using [ISP's]
> mail server. I want to be able to install
> > antispam filters. I want to avoid gotchas like getting blacklisted
> because it's an open relay. What do I need to know
> > about and what questions should I be asking?'
> >
> > There is probably a whole lot more that should be added to that list of
> the prospective mail administrator's 'I
> > wants.....' but I'm not a mail admin (yet) so I'm not sure.
> >
> > Anyway, having inserted the idea (should I say plea?) for such a talk
> into your minds, I'll leave it to someone more
> > knowledgable to come up with appropriate content ideas.

I use qmail and really like it.  It was very easy to setup and configure.
The qmail website has a lot of good information about not only qmail but
mail in general.  There is a good walk through of the "Life of an email"
like you are talking about.  You might want to have a look around on that
site. http://qmail.mirrors.pair.com/top.html is a local mirror of the site.

Converting an Outlook pst file is tough one.  There was only one package
that I was able to find that worked.  Look for libpst_0.3.4; it can't really
convert attachments but does a good job with messages.  I haven't tried
addresses.

Chris Romano