[wplug] Mail

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at attbi.com
Sat Jul 12 10:46:08 EDT 2003

I have been intending to ask wpluggers about mail for some time and recently have noticed some threads.

Would anybody amongst the knowledgable wpluggers have any interest in putting together a presentation about mail in all its aspects?

I think that an introduction that provides information about the concepts concerning mail would be useful, perhaps starting with a walkthrough of the life of an email: initiator's keyboard to recipient's screen with mention of what software can/should be used at each point and how to go about setting it up.

I am thinking about from the administrator's perspective - 'What should I do to setup mail for my company's employees? I want my users to be able to send and receive mail without using [ISP's] mail server. I want to be able to install antispam filters. I want to avoid gotchas like getting blacklisted because it's an open relay. What do I need to know about and what questions should I be asking?'

There is probably a whole lot more that should be added to that list of the prospective mail administrator's 'I wants.....' but I'm not a mail admin (yet) so I'm not sure.

Anyway, having inserted the idea (should I say plea?) for such a talk into your minds, I'll leave it to someone more knowledgable to come up with appropriate content ideas.

--
Duncan Hutty