[wplug] Personal mail from sendmail or smtp?

Sal Mangiapane salm at servanttechnology.com
Sat Jul 12 00:44:35 EDT 2003

Tim is right (this could be the case) then whoever is hosting mail.domainname.com is blocking the traffic and not the ISP.  Does
this make sense?  Or maybe a better question, was your X-isp also your hosting company?

Sometimes, I'm amazed that the internet even works.  There are so many variables and different ways to configure things.  How can it
everything work together?

sal

Oh yeah, I think sendmail uses SMTP.

> I would recommend using the SMTP server to send.  While it is possible
> to use local sendmail to send to anyone, some of the larger ISPs (like
> AOL) will not accept mail from IP addresses who are not cached in their
> DNS.
>
> Basically if you use sendmail from your local box, you'll occasionally
> get some mail rejected by ISPs that practice this.
>

> On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 23:02, Twisted Cranium wrote:
> > The mail.domainname.com was (and still is) the mail server provided by my web hosting service.  When I had dial-up with
> another ISP I was able to use the mail. server name as the smtp server, but with my broadband ISP I cannot use it.

---snip---