[wplug] passwd file

vze2f6h6 at verizon.net vze2f6h6 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 13:28:00 EDT 2003

> From: billings at negate.org
> Date: 2003/07/11 Fri PM 01:04:27 EDT
> To: wplug at wplug.org
> Subject: Re: [wplug] passwd file
>
> On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 12:06, Chris wrote:
> > I have a lot of system users that I don't what to be able to log on locally.
> > I know that I can use usermod -s /sbin/nologin username, but I don't want to
> > do that for every user.  Can I just edit the passwd file manually, or are
> > there more files that need to be changed?
> >
> > Chris Romano
>
> You say that you don't want the user to be able to log on locally, but
> that means that they won't be able to log on at all.  Are you sure
> that's what you want to do?

These users are only using the system for email.  They will not have access to it any other way.  There are about 200+ users that are like this.  I use qmail + Courier-Imap and I have them setup to you the passwd file for usernames and passwords.  They don't care about the shell.  I figured that be not allowing the access to the system, it would secure the accounts better.

Chris Romano