[wplug] root password lost? (RH 9)

billings at negate.org billings at negate.org
Fri Jul 11 11:11:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 10:55, Mike Kuentz (2) wrote:
> You can also add after kernel, the parameter
>
> init=/bin/bash
>
> Instead of single.  Make sure you unmount the filesystem(s) before you
> reboot.
>
> Mike

Actually, this is unneccesary.  Unless you also specify a 'rw'
parameter, it will only mount the root with readonly.  It should not
mount any other filesystems.  This really isn't all that useful, if you
want to change your password, because the root filesystem is mounted
read-only.  I suggest sticking with 'single' for that.  The only time I
find the 'init=/bin/sh' useful is when I need to fsck / manually, and I
don't know the root password (happens a lot here).

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP