[wplug] root password lost? (RH 9)

Ryan W. Frenz rfrenz at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 11 09:06:43 EDT 2003

I am in the process of setting up a small network at my house so my
roommates and I can share files, etc.  I have an old IBM laptop on which
I have put a minimal server install of RedHat 9.0.  The eventual plan is
to plug this into the network and forward certain ports so we can get
files from outside our LAN via ssh, ftp, whatever.  I've done that
before and it isn't really my problem.  However, after installing
RedHat, I logged in as root and began to add accounts for myself and
each of my roommates (5 of us total).  Not a problem.  After creating
the accounts I logged in as each to make sure everything looked ok.  It
did.  Then, I tried to log in as root again, and RedHat won't let me,
saying 'Invalid Password'.  It seems like at some point the root
password got corrupted or lost.  And yes, I tried all the standard
dumbass fixes, like making sure capslock wasn't down, etc.  Has anyone
ever seen this?  I found some stuff on google about loading 'linux
single' from a LILO prompt and then setting the password from there, but
all I can get on startup is a GRUB prompt.  Is there an equivalent
procedure for GRUB?  Keep in mind I am fairly new to linux, very new to
RedHat, and extremely new to any kind of system administration.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Ryan