[wplug] Re: Wedding advice

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Wed Jul 9 12:11:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:47:33AM -0400, Russ Schneider wrote:
> Amanda Babcock wrote:
>
> >Wrong... sorta.  The correct answer is "find out what the correct answer
> >is for your woman" :)
>
> That's like trial and error with dynamtie.  You just don't do it! :)

It's more like "research the properties and tolerances of dynamite
long before you're standing there with a charge in the rock, an
actuator in your hand, and massive doubts in your head."

The correct method is to know your options and the likely responses,
and optimize for the current conditions:  current (real or perceived)
mass of subject, current packaging (the outfit), and proximity to
potential improvised projectiles.

Recent example:  "What do you think of my new haircut?"

Conditions:  subject has new friend, new friend has identical
haircut, haircut looks like a chicken fell into a vat of Elmer's glue.

Range of responses:
"Looks great!" (eliminated; lie)
"Looks like a chicken fell into a vat of Elmer's glue!" (eliminated;
sharp objects close at hand)
"Wow, looks just like Heather's!" (accepted)

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws