[wplug] Gentoo Stage 3 install

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Jul 7 21:34:30 EDT 2003

IIRC - the "no init found" is generally a partition issue as opposed to an
initrd issue - more like the kernel cannot find the root fs.  Of course, if
there's a storage driver required it could, in fact, be an initrd issue, but
I'm assuming since it's a Dell home system it's IDE (although HPT-style
controllers would require an initrd).

mkinitrd is not in the install image?  That seems bad - you might want to
offer that as feedback - I know that gentoo had a bugzilla interface set up.

My Gentoo install was on an Inspiron 5100, but I also have an 8300, and
there's nothing exotic about the hardware that should give the gentoo
installer a hard time.

Stupid question - but you _did_ have your /boot mounted during the
install.... right?  That was my single biggest stumbling point WRT handling
kernels under gentoo - I kept forgetting to mount boot before doing the
kernel install...  doh!

Personally, I bailed on gentoo (r2 build I believe, but latest & greatest
kernel installed) following a seg-fault in Nautilus that was either the
cause of or the result of major EXT3 corruption.  My drive was virtually
un-recoverable and I lost 2 months worth of tweaking that install..... and I
went back to RH.  Yes, it's noticably slower - but stable.  I'm running an
AC kernel with ACPI tweaks, and have striped out the NPTL stuff....

Don