[wplug] Linux is going to DJ my wedding

Russ Schneider russpgh at stargate.net
Mon Jul 7 09:17:37 EDT 2003

Teodorski, Chris wrote:

> Any assistance is appreciated.

So are you planning on just sticking 1000 tracks in XMMS and hitting
random?   You could always setup and save a songlist and play that back.
  It's really easy to do.

One thing to keep in mind: You'll have to install MP3 support yourself
if you're using RedHat.

I have a SoundBlaster Live! card and it's been great.  I would be fully
confident taking my machine into a club and plugging it into a PA.
Never had a problem with it installing on either Mandrake 8.2 or 9.1,
although I had to adjust one setting in 9.1 to get it to work (real simple).

You'll simply need an 1/8" stereo (two black lines on the jack) to left
and right channel adapter, and then convert that end to 1/4" left and
right for the PA (sometimes you might have to get a 1/8" to RCA and then
to 1/4" but if you have an 1/8" stereo to left and right 1/4" then great!).

For a lightweight desktop environment, I use IceWM and love it.  I find
it MUCH lighter than Gnome or KDE.

Oh, and Mazel Tov on the wedding. :)

--
Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)