[Fwd: Re: [wplug] WEP with RH 8.0]

Andreas Rindler arindler at cmu.edu
Tue Jul 1 18:20:50 EDT 2003

Tim,

it has been a while since i have tried to go further with the WEP issue
on my IBM T23 (work got busy...). i had tried your original suggestion
which returned errors. you answered:

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:00:31AM -0400, Andreas Rindler wrote:
>> [root at Jodel root]# wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset
>> mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0=XXXX
>> mibattribute="data_string_too_short"
>> message=dot11req_mibset
>>   mibattribute=data_string_too_short
>>   resultcode=no_value
>
>It looks like you might not be providing a proper WEP key... you're
>providing hex digits here, correct, and not a passphrase?
>
>--
>Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
>http://www.lesher.ws

no, i am not using hex digits, i am using 1234567890 as my test key
(which should be the same as the hex digits, right?)

I sat with alex for a while, we updated the wlan drivers
(linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre9.tar.gz):

[root at Jodel src]# iwconfig -v
iwconfig  Version 26
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v16 or earlier,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v12.

wlan0     Recommend Wireless Extension v13 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v15.

using the new iwconfig with a key paramater returns the following error
message (even if i start the key with s:1234...)

[root at Jodel src]# iwconfig wlan0 key 1234567890
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Function not implemented.

any ideas?????

thanks,
andi