[wplug] need to work from home....

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 20:02:32 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 11:41, Bill wrote:
> Hey folx...
>
> So I'm spending far too much time at work and have been granted X number
> of work-from-home days a month.  Normally this would be great but for
> the following:
>
> 1)  DSL/cable broadband is not available in my area (been on the 'list'
> for 3 years at the current address).
> 2)  Satellite is available but is very expensive and does not support
> linux, or routers.
> 3)  Analog lines are so old in my area that dialup connections never use
> the entire 56k (usually 22.6).
>
> So I've been thinking maybe direct-dialing to my work box would be the
> 'best' scenario I could concoct.  Anybody have suggestions on a good
> piece of software for doing this?  Or better yet, someone have a better
> option for me! :)
>
> thx
>
> -b

Do you have to have complete access to everything at work?

What about setting up some sort of remote server and hosting the files
you need there.  Then it's just a matter of downloading and uploading at
the beginning and ending of each day (or better yet, automate the
synchronization to happen at some off-peak period like late night/early
morning).  Perhaps use rsync or something like that.  Linux Journal had
an article about a guy who did this with CVS :
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5976 .

You could probably find an ISP that would give you remote shell access
and a healthy disk quota and that's all you need.

Working like this means that you'll lose time during the synch periods,
but the advantages are several.  After the synch time, you'll be able to
work at the speed of your local machine.  You'll have automatic backups,
and you don't have to worry about losing your internet connection while
you're working.  You could always burn a copy of the important data and
take it with you back in forth in case something goes wrong.

It may not be a fancy solution, but it'd work.

--
  jaaron    <jaaronfarr at yahoo.com>