[wplug] need to work from home....

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Tue Jan 21 17:04:32 EST 2003

> 2)  Satellite is available but is very expensive and does not support
> linux, or routers.

I've been investigating Satellite because my ISDN "service" from
Alltel has been *really* poor.  There are some vendors (like
SkyCasters.com) that support the Mac (OS X), and so Linux support
should be pretty easy. The satellite stuff is just another node on
your local network.  You can have your own router behind the satellite
stuff.  It's still expensive.  (it's expensive up-front, but monthly
is cheaper than ISDN).

> So I've been thinking maybe direct-dialing to my work box would be the
> 'best' scenario I could concoct.

You'd probably still run into the old phone line issue.  If it's just
text-based (like emacs in -nw mode), 22.6 should be groovy.  If you're
trying to run Mozilla over that, well that's a world of hurt :-)

ISDN could be pretty nice and reliable.  Maybe if you had a non-Alltel
provider it'd work out for you. (in fact, flaky analog lines and the
lack of any broadband is what got me on ISDN in the first place) The
monthly costs can get high.  Again, avoid Alltel.

++Mark Dalrymple, markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "It's like a game of whack-a-port"