[wplug] restricted/monitored playground

Kramer-James at MSHA.gov Kramer-James at MSHA.gov
Tue Jan 21 09:37:43 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: John Harrold [mailto:jmh17 at pitt.edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 2:42 PM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: Re: [wplug] restricted/monitored playground

Sometime in January Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and
produced:

| Dear all
|
| I'll be executing code of questionable behavior on my machine, as part
| of a security-related assignment.
|
| Is there a way of allowing the code to run (e.g. trinity, bo2k etc) and
| monitoring its activities, without hosing my machine? I thought of
| creating a special user for this puprose, and then chrooting him in a
| directory with minimal binaries to work with (ls, car, gdb etc).
|
| But I fear that creating a too restricted chrooted jail won't do,
| because if the tool cannot create network connections or find the
| necessary libraries, it will obviously malfunction.
|
| Is it possible to create a monitored, controlled, virtual playground for
| executing potentially nasty code on one's machine?
|
| Thanks
|
| - -A

i have a friend whos been using this and he think's it's the neatest thing
since sliced bread. i must admit it looks pretty nifty.

http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc

You also might want to look at
http://www.freevsd.org/

Jay Kramer