[wplug] mod_throttle and bandwidth_module

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Jan 21 08:27:13 EST 2003

Sometime in January James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, John Harrold wrote:
| > <IfModule mod_throttle.c>
| >     #ThrottlePolicy none
| >     #ThrottlePolicy Speed 5K
| >     #SetHandler throttle-me
| >
| >     <Location /throttle-status>
| >     SetHandler throttle-status
| >     </Location>
| >
| >     <Location /throttle-me>
| >     SetHandler throttle-me
| >     </Location>
| >     <Location />
| >     AddHandler cgi-script .pl
| >     SetHandler throttle-me
| >     ThrottlePolicy Speed 7K 1s
| >     </Location>
| >
| > </IfModule>
|

| It's been several months since I looked at this module, but you are using
| it incorrectly. The SetHandler throttle-me is only needed to create a
| stats page, not to enable throttling. If you use ThrottlePolicy or similar
| directives, in a Location or VirtualHost block, that is all you need to
| throttle that directory.

i thought that was what the throttle-status did.

| When I looked at this, I was having some problems with segfaults. (see the
| list archives around September last year)

yeah. i remembered your post. it didn't seem to be segfaulting for me.

i'm not going to mess with it anymore the cbq interface to tc/ip is doing
what i want and a little more. i'll keep the throttlepolicy in mind if i
need to do more directory based stuff.
john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau

wickets of mass distruction (wmd)
http://www.cricketworldcup.com/