[wplug] mod_throttle and bandwidth_module

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Jan 20 18:15:43 EST 2003

so i'm trying to limit the bandwidth coming out of my webserver so shell
access out of and into my apartment will still be useful. i've read and
poked around a bit and the apache modules listed above seem to be what i
want. this is what ive done:

*using the bandwidth_module*

LoadModule bandwidth_module   modules/mod_bandwidth.so
AddModule mod_bandwidth.c

<Directory "/home/httpd/html/">
    BandWidth all 4096
    AllowOverride All
    Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks
    Allow from all
</Directory>

and the webpages i'm accessing are located under /home/httpd/html

this just doesnt work.

*using mod_throttle*

<IfDefine HAVE_THROTTLE>
LoadModule throttle_module    modules/mod_throttle.so
</IfDefine>

<IfDefine HAVE_THROTTLE>
AddModule mod_throttle.c
</IfDefine>

<IfModule mod_throttle.c>
    #ThrottlePolicy none
    #ThrottlePolicy Speed 5K
    #SetHandler throttle-me

    <Location /throttle-status>
    SetHandler throttle-status
    </Location>

    <Location /throttle-me>
    SetHandler throttle-me
    </Location>
    <Location />
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    SetHandler throttle-me
    ThrottlePolicy Speed 7K 1s
    </Location>

</IfModule>

this might work, but my perl scripts that are generating the webpages are being
spit out ast text and not running through mod_perl. now if i remove the
SetHandler throttle-me
the perl scripts are executed correctly, but it doesnt appear to throttle the bandwidth useage down.

so does anyone have any thoughts?

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau

wickets of mass distruction (wmd)
http://www.cricketworldcup.com/