[wplug] runlevel question

Brian S. Woolstrum woolstrum at cmu.edu
Fri Jan 17 23:39:35 EST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Hagbard Celine wrote:

> > Easy to forget which one linux is, because it is both.
> > Redhat and Mandrake distributions are SysV style init, but
> > Slackware is BSD style.
> >
> > At the risk of starting a flamewar, I always prefer
> > Slackware distributions, and absolutely despise having to
> > do anything with Redhat. However, runlevels are the one
> > thing that I feel that Redhat made the right choice with
> > going SysV.  SysV is much easier automate changes for,
> > since pretty much each daemon get's it's own
> > start,stop,restart script.  BSD style seems to lump to many
> > things into one script.  For example:  the mounting of nfs
> > partitions, starting of inetd, starting of named, and
> > starting of routed are all done from one single script.
> >
> At the risk of raising your hackles, you're refering to the boot script scheme
> rather than the flavor of init, and Slackware does, indeed, use a BSD-style
> boot script scheme.

Thanks for taking the risk :)  Looks like I forgot to read
the fine print.  Although some of the wording at
slackware.org in the Slackware book can be a little
misleading where it says  "System V init compatibility was introduced in
Slackware 7.0."  That of course is referring to the layout
style.

> I suppose that boot scripts are, like just about everything else, a matter of
> preference.  I am one of the many who cut their teeth on Slackware, but when
> I designed my general system configuration, I went with the SysV boot scripts
> because I found them so much easier to tailor than the BSD type.  I'm currently
> running four Linux boxes, no two of which do quite the same thing.  Despite the
> differences, however, I can drop essentially the same /etc/init.d directory on
> all of them (with very minor script editing for such host-specific items as IP
> address), set the appropriate symlinks in the rc*.d directories, and I'm done.
> This requires a bit less key-tapping than would editing the BSD-type scripts
> for each machine.

Have you noticed any problems with the different ways of
stopping scripts when switching run levels?  One thing I've
noticed while reading the scripts is that on a Redhat 6.x
system I deal with /etc/rc.d/rc runs the kill scripts of a
run level as it enters it and before running the start
scripts of that same run level.  But, on my Slackware 8.x
system /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit runs the kill scripts of the
previous run level followed by the kill scripts of the new
run level.