[wplug] Video Card woes

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:06:24 EST 2003

> I was wondering if anyone might know how to help me out with (what I guess
> is) a hardware problem? My problem is this: I cannot run xine or other
> video-viewing applications on my computer, as every time I do it crashes, bad
> (the kind where you have to yank the power cord out to restart). Does anyone > know how I should go about diagnosing my problem and, hopefully, fix it?

One possibility to keep in mind is the possibility that the computer is
not really crashed, but just that the keyboard/screen has locked up.

I've had computers that would occasionally lock up so that you couldn't
use the keyboard or see anything on the screen, but you could telnet/ssh
in and do stuff (usually just reboot the computer)