[wplug] runlevel question

William Powell billpwl1 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 7 16:15:22 EST 2003

Well, as I understand runlevels, the only time a run level would change
is if you use run-level 3 with only a command line log-in screen for
each user.  The user would use "startx" if they wanted to work in the
the GUI of their choice.  Each user starting the X-Server in this
fashion will not switch run-levels.

If the system however starts in Run-level 5, there will be a graphical
login determined by the xdm (display manager) that the system is using
and the runlevel will not change as users log in and out.

So, if your "?talkd" is started as part of one of the init scripts,
unless a user specifically changes the run-level, which should not be
neccesary, it should continue to run without problems.

Bill