[wplug] Backup Software

Ingimarson, Darin dingimarson at Quantapoint.com
Tue Feb 25 09:39:54 EST 2003

Check out Arkeia at www.arkeia.com. You can get a free (i.e. no cost)
version of Arkeia (called Arkeia Light) that is licensed for a single
tape drive on a single server plus 2 clients to try it out.

The cool thing about Arkeia is that it is easy to set file-level
restores based upon dates -- the software then tells you which
tape sets to run off and fetch to restore the file image you asked
for. A downside is that (on the version I am using in-house) the
tape pool management system is somewhat clunky.

All in all it seems to be somewhat easier to run than Veritas (we
run that on our Windows servers -- our engineering server is RH 7.3).

   - darin