[wplug] make menuconfig

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Feb 20 18:41:25 EST 2003

If you get sound from the audio test, I'm not sure the problem is at the
kernel level, but rather in the Gnome audio deamon, esd sometimes called
esound. I don't use Gnome much, so I would suggest looking at the gnome
configuration tool for sound options.

I'm not sure how make menuconfig is detecting libncurses, but I think
there was an incompatible change made between libncurses 4 and 5. See if
debian offers an older version as well? Red Hat calls them ncurses and
ncurses4. Failing that, there is make xconfig or make config.

What I sometimes do when I'm using a distribution's stock kernel is to
copy the config they used to /usr/src/linux/.config and run make oldconfig
Then run make xconfig and tweak things one by one. Some of them are still
poorly documented, but some should be obvious such as which ethernet card
you have or that you don't have a RAID card installed. Given infinite
time, the best thing to do would be to compile, reboot, remove exactly one
option, compile, reboot, etc. But I don't think anyone has time for that.

-james