[wplug] make menuconfig

Tom McCullough mccull1 at attbi.com
Thu Feb 20 17:31:36 EST 2003

Hi everyone,
I am trying my first kernel compile and ran into a snag.  I have Debian
'Woody' with 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel loaded on a Compaq presario 1655
laptop.  I have everything except sound working.  I had RH8.0 on it
earlier and had sound so I know it works.  I think I had the sb module
set up in lilo.conf with an append statement.  If I run sndconfig I can
get the "This is Linus Torvalds......." audio test, but in X/Gnome 1.4 I
can't get any wave files to play.  I decided to be brave and downloaded
the 2.4.20 kernel sources from kernel.org and try a compile.  Now the
real problem (no sound doesn't bother me that much, it just started me
on this path)  I get a message that I can't use menuconfig because
libncurses is not found.  I checked dselect and found that it was
installed and I found libncurses.so.5.2 in /lib.
Is there something I am missing?  I am using make config for this
attempt, but I'm a little overwelmed by the array of choices.  I have
been using the config-2.4.18-bf2.4 file as a guideline, but I still am
not sure if I have too little or too much compiled into my kernel.  The
first attempt started to boot and the screen went blank.  After about 2
minutes and no more HD sound, I decided to C/A/D but had to force a
shutdown with the power button.
Sorry if this is too verbose, but I am getting nowhere and could use
some pointers.