[wplug] Red Hat Academy

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sat Feb 15 06:40:30 EST 2003

James O'Kane wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>> That being said, having twice gotten my RHCE I'd be interested in
>> attending the RHCT track.
>
> Out of curiousity, why? I was under the impression that the RHCT was a
> midpoint between 0 and RHCE.
	If you want to train people so that they can then take the RHCE exam
without sitting through the class you must possess the RHCT (Red Hat
Certified Trainer).  My company has already done an in-house session w/ a RH
instructor for the princely sum of $30k.  I have given several training
sessions internally to prep for the RHCE but we're finding that more of our
customers are asking for training, and it seems a logical extension that any
training we do have a goal of the trainee getting certification.  We charge
$2k/day for up to 12 people in the class.  I have a multi-page document that
addresses pre-requisites that must be met for hardware and student prep.  I
have a kickstart diskette that I send to the customer to interrogate the PCs
to be used for training which they boot then send back to me (it logs
hardware details).
	All this follows the first class I gave here at Pioneer - where I
had to help someone find "f" on the keyboard.  I'm not lying.

	I cannot fathom how an RHCT could be lower than an RHCE having sat
through 2 such sessions.  You really have to know your stuff to train on
this.  That being said, I have had classes with clueless instructors......

> I saw job listing for Red Hat that wanted the candidate to pass the
> RHCM exam when it was available. RH Certified Manager maybe?
	Huh?  RHCM is the Red Hat Cluster Manager as found in Red Hat
Advanced Server.  As far as I know there's no certification on it.  I have
asked my RH marketing puke aboot certification specific to RH AS since the
beginning of this thread a couple days ago - but I have yet to hear anything
back from him.

Don