[wplug] Selling Linux (WAS: Why I choose Linux)

MARSHA ISAACS hansyd1 at msn.com
Fri Feb 14 13:25:05 EST 2003

Hello,

Good, valid points:-)

Paul

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elwin Green" <bekitemba at excite.com>
To: <wplug at wplug.org>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 10:41 AM
Subject: [wplug] Selling Linux (WAS: Why I choose Linux)

decisive. From what I understand (I haven't used it)you CAN run the MS
Office suite on Linux with Codeweaver's Crossover Office. Has anyone here
tried it?

> > but
> >Linux has an equivalent for almost everything Windows has - except
> >it's FREE!
>
> ...Linux still does NOT have equivalents for some things which define many
people's computer use: e.g., AOL (see below), Quicken/TurboTax (personally,
if Intuit were to produce Quicken for Linux I'd BUY it in a heartbeat. Same
with TurboTax.)

> >Compare the cost of a Linux desktop machine vs. Windows.
>
> >1 - Windows XP home UPGRADE costs $100, the non-upgrade costs $200
> >but you
> >won't come close to Linux
> >    unless you buy XP Pro which costs $200 FOR THE UPGRADE and $300 >for
the
> >non-upgrade version.
>
> >     Red Hat 8.0 and other distributions can be downloaded for FREE >or
you
> >can pay ~$40 for the box and book.
>
> I'm not sure how important this is to the average Windows user, for the
simple reason that that the OS comes with the computer (and therefore SEEMS
to be free). I think the average Windows user is more likely to buy a new
machine (with the newest Windows included "free") than to upgrade the OS.

> However, even if said user does decide to upgrade OSes, downloading
redhat, or any other major distro, is hugely impractical for the large
number of people who still use dialup. Buying the $40 box would likely make
more sense....if he can find it. The same thing is true for large apps like
openoffice.

> >2 - You'll need to browse the internet and "do" email, play media
> >files and
> >view images. Both OS's have free tools.
>
> Maybe, but if your ISP doesn't do Linux, that doesn't matter. And, love it
or hate it, AOL is still the most widely-used ISP. More importantly, they're
the most well-known. I would guess the runners-up, in order, would be msn,
earthlink, and netzero/juno. Do any of them do Linux? If you're advocating
with Windows users, they'll need a way to get to the internet before they
can use those free tools.

> In short, as much as I like the idea of Linux, and as much as I believe in
its still-untapped potential, I think we need to recognize that its being
"free" isn't really a great selling point. First, because most people EXPECT
to pay for something of value (how much to pay is a different issue);
second, because there are costs that can't be measured with $ - namely, the
inherent pain of change (ANY change), and the time/effort required to learn
to do things as well in Linux as they do them in Windows (never mind
learning to do them better).