[wplug] extra mouse buttons

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 14 00:11:31 EST 2003

On 2003.02.13 15:37 Kevin Squire wrote:
> I have a MS intellimouse trackball.  The black one with the thumb ball, a
> wheel and 2 buttons on each side. (You can see it here
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/tbo_info.asp )  In MS, the extra
> buttons are for back and foward.  I have googled my little heart out, and
> could not find anything that works to get those extra 2 buttons working.  I
> have IMWheel installed and tried out somethings with that, but no luck.  I
> was wondering if anyone has been able to get those extra buttons on any
> mouse/trackball (buttons 6 and 7) working with Linux, and how they did it.
>
> PS-I know that the MS trackball has had some bad reviews, but I have been
> using it for almost a year now, and LOVE it.

I have a similar mouse. Your config should be the same as mine to get it
working.

In XF86Config:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Mouse0"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Option          "Protocol"      "ExplorerPS/2"
         Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
         Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "6 7"
         Option          "CorePointer"
EndSection

Do not use "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5", as that will cause XFree to completely
ignore the other buttons. Even xev won't show them.

The problem is that now the side buttons are mapped to the z axis, and the
wheel is mapped to buttons 4 and 5.

To switch it arround, you need to
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
after starting X. I added it to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default, but depending on
how you start X you should put it somewhere else.

Ivan