[wplug] Re: MISM mentor program

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Mon Feb 10 18:10:09 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:00:29PM -0500, Henry Umansky wrote:
> PDF is a standard NOT owned by Adobe.

Would you care to back that up with facts?

The last time I checked, Adobe held six (or so) patents regarding the
generation of PDF, asserted copyright powers over the structures of
the PDF format, and had explicit requirements for their "free"
licensing of the use of the PDF name and spec.

Much like Sun with Java, Adobe retains the PDF specification and
retains the right to change it, withdraw it, etc.  I don't believe
they've released it to any standards body.  That qualifies as "owns"
to me.

For more information, read section 1.4 of the official PDF spec.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws