[wplug] Word attachments (was: MISM mentor program)

Benjamin G. Beige gunnar at zbzoom.net
Mon Feb 10 15:33:14 EST 2003

One thig even windows users can make PDF files even if they natively use
say word, as simply as printing w/ a free product you can downlload from
adobe... and I have to believe that there ar ea multitude of similar
programs for Linux, I've never tried to find them though ;)

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:23:08 -0500, Scott Kiesling <kiesling+ at pitt.edu>
wrote:

> I agree, it doesn't have to be life. It may be as small as sending that
> email to someone, and it spreads. I had never really thought about it
> before today's discussion, but now I plan not to accept .doc documents.
> This means that I will be writing many, many people at the university
> (inlcuding deans), and telling them about open source options. Perhaps
> they will start to rethink the mega-licensing deal they seem to have
> with Microsoft.
>
> I also have had editors send me documents using the Word track changes
> option, which does not work in OpenOffice.org. I find this frustrating,
> but now I have an argument for telling them to send it in a different
> format.
>
> I will also be requiring students, who have the option in many cases of
> submitting things electronically, to use a publicly available format.
> This means future computer users at the rate of a few hundred a year
> will learn other ways to send their documents (and that other formats
> even exist). While this may not seem like a lot, they may also adopt
> this practice and send out similar emails and, well, you get the
> picture. Butterflies and hurricanes.
>
> One question: I believe it was on this list a while back that someone
> suggested that MSWord 6.0 was a more reliable standard than RTF, and it
> is essentially open now since most word processors have decoded it. do
> people agree?
>
> Scott
>

> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 13:25, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

* Benjamin G. Beige                  *
* Webmaster for Adventures Unlimited *