[wplug] Oracle on RH 8 (was: Entertaining)

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 10 01:32:03 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 15:00, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> Bob Schmertz wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 18:53, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> >> At the risk of again asserting myself...
> >>
> >> Oracle is not supported on RH 8.0, so there's not much point in
> >> discussing the functionality.  That being said - you can run
> >> multiple versions of libraries and provide functionality for (some
> >> apps). Oracle does quite a bit of re-linking, so this might not be
> >> the case.
> >>
> >> J. Aaron made a better point with his comment re: RH AS and SuSE -
> >> that's all current & future versions of Oracle are going to be
> >> supported on.
> >>
> >> A far as what the next release of Advanced Server will be based on
> >> (3.1 - due mid/late summer) I would be astounded to see it _not_
> >> come out based on
> >> 3.x.  While I don't know a whole lot aboot it yet, I do know among
> >> it's many new features will be a clustered filesystem.
> >>
> >> You can rest assured that Oracle will be supported at release time.
> >
> > "Oracle will be supported"... would that be the current version or a
> > new for-RHAS3 version?  I know you don't work for Oracle, so wild
> > speculation is welcome...
> 	Well, Oracle has a lifespan timeline for all of their products.  I
> would expect at a minimum that the current database, application server, and
> cluster products will be supported.  I would further expect that efforts
> would be in place to support all "currently supported" (legacy) Linux
> products Oracle has available within a short time.  I would be surprised to
> see Oracle release an "Advanced Server" only product, but they have stated
> clearly that Advanced Server is the only product from RH they will certify
> against.  Likewise for SuSE's server product.
>

> >> Red Hat is also currently baking Advanced Workstation (IA-32 only)
> >> and Advanced Server ES (IA-32 only) which will be aimed at the
> >> "network edge" device - it has no clustering capability as AS does.
> >>
> >> The coming RH AS 3.1 will support IA-32 and IA-64, and I am really
> >> hoping PowerPC as well.
> >
> > Red Hat has so far never released anything for PowerPC... have you
> > heard any rumors?
> Oh boy.....
> BZZZT!
> The current product offerings from Red Hat Linux include (but are not
> limited to):
>  Red Hat Linux 8.0 Personal
>  Red Hat Linux 8.0 Professional
>  Red Hat Linux Advanced Server (with several iterations of support)
>  Red Hat Linux 8.0 Manuals
>  Red Hat Linux 7.1 for iSeries (partitioned)
>  Red Hat Linux 7.1 for pSeries (PowerPC native and partitioned)

I guess when someone says PowerPC, I'm thinking Apple machines.  Will
this run on my iBook, or is it only for 64-bit PPC chips, or what?

>  Red Hat Linux 7.1 for zSeries (partitioned)
>  Red Hat Linux for S/390 (same as above, but not zOS)
>  Red Hat Linux 7.2 for the Itanium Processor
>  Red Hat Database
>  Red Hat Stronghold Secure Web Server
>
> ...that being said, several of these you cannot get off the shelf at
> MicroCenter, the PPC release being one of them.
>

> > I'd bet they'd make it for Sparc before they do PPC
> 	Been there, done that, got the ISOs.  RH dropped the SPARC port
> circa 6.1 or 6.2.  Sun were being buttholes.

I probably heard this, but lost track.  I didn't realize it was that
long ago.

> >> The product that is RH8.0 today is heading for support / sales as a
> >> desktop only product.  Don't expect to see a lot of Enterprise class
> >> apps being supported on it.
> >>
> >> Bob - you can recompile the kernel even in Advanced Server - so there
> >> shouldn't be any reason you can't get what you need working unless
> >> it's totally fringe or only part of the development kernel.
> >
> > I've already done that, but once you do that your OS is no longer a
> > certified Advanced Server,
> ...OOOOH - there's juicy tidbit our RH marketing guy never passed on.  So -
> lemme guess - to get a patch supported you have to pay Red Hat Consulting
> Services 5 figures to run "make" for you?

>From what we're hearing from Red Hat, all we can do is sit and pray that
the next version comes out before our delivery date, and that it has a
fairly recent ethernet bonding driver.  I haven't talked to them myself;
others in my company who have talked to them either didn't ask about
special arrangements, or didn't like what they heard when they did.

> > and if you need support from Oracle and
> > they find out you're not running a RHAS kernel provided/compiled by
> > Red Hat... well, you can guess the rest.
> 	Indeed.  Wow - that's a bite in the can.  I suppose I can appreciate
> that though - having spent many cycles trying to duplicate customer issues
> you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to trying to work on a
> thoroughly tested / known base system.  We've got one customer right now
> that has a bunch of Intel based systems rebooting every 6 or 7 hours - a
> problem I have not been able to duplicate in-house on 2 of the systems they
> sent me.  Trying to match their system package-for-package is tough enough
> without trying to duplicate a "renegade kernel".  That being said, I can't
> see what the issue would be if you're trying to run a kernel built from
> pristine RH AS sources - the entire tree is supposedly tested.  I would
> think far more damage could be wrought by a user fiddling in /proc/kernel/~
> over building a kernel from RH source, but Oracle is Oracle I suppose.

I understand Oracle does a checksum on the running kernel; if true, it
wouldn't matter if you were using pristine AS source or 2.2.4ac, it'd
get rejected.  Anyway, as mentioned above, the AS kernel lacks certain
features of the bonding driver we need, so I built me a kernel from
pristine RH7.3 sources.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz