[wplug] Oracle on RH 8 (was: Entertaining)

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat Feb 8 17:32:53 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 14:55, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> --- Bob Schmertz <rschmertz at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 12:50, redtoade wrote:
> >
> > > 8.0 is a dream.  I have no idea what people are
> > > talking about when they consider it to be buggy.
> >
> > Has anybody here tried to run any Oracle app -- or any binary-only C++
> > app that provides shared libraries -- on Red Hat 8.0?  From what I hear
> > about gcc 3.x, there is a binary incompatibility when you try to mix
> > shared object libraries from gcc3 with executables from 2.9x or vice
> > versa.  This wouldn't be Red Hat's fault, as every distribution will
> > have to deal with this compatibility glitch at some point, if they
> > haven't done so already.  But it may be a disincentive for many to go to
> > 8.0.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Bob Schmertz
>
> If you're putting up the cash for an actual Oracle instance then your probably
> want to go with Red Hat's Advanced Server which will work with Oracle and all
> the other big guns.  Also, from what I understand SuSE has pretty good Oracle
> support.

Actually, what we're running on Linux are instances of Oracle
Application Server, and custom-made Oracle clients that need the Oracle
libraries.  We also need some features of the Kernel not found in the
version that RHAS ships with, so we're already having difficulty meeting
that option.  I was just wondering what would happen if the next version
of RHAS was based on gcc 3.x.; would the Oracle libraries stop working?

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz