[wplug] Entertaining

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 12:50:08 EST 2003

I'd just like to thank you all for providing a highly
entertaining mailing list for the last week or two.

I always love the classic debates:  emacs vs vi,
Debian vs RedHat package managers, gui vs terminal...
good stuff!  Could someone throw in a bit of the
traditional "give me Slackware, or give me death"
stuff too... just for balance?  Thanks.

Anyway, I've been running RedHat almost exclusively
since 5.0.  I don't know who originally came up with
the version X.0 is always buggy thread, but I find it
to be completely inaccurate.

7.2 was the worse release to date in my opinion.
Introducing a not quite ready for primetime Nautilus,
removing linuxconf, migrating to ext3... WOW, did THAT
break everything.  I held off of updating most of my
6.0 installations until the dust settled.

8.0 is a dream.  I have no idea what people are
talking about when they consider it to be buggy.  It
has completely fixed all of the nautlius issues from
7.2, and the gui configure scripts (the ones that look
like /usr/bin/redhat-config-XXXXX) are quite
excellent.  I can't wait to see what 8.1 fixes.

So when you call an OS distribution buggy, are you
comparing it to:
1.  Previous versions?
2.  Other distributions?
3.  Your ideal image of what the distribution should
have been?
4.  Systematically tracking all segmentation faults
and recording them in tabular format?

Because it seems to me that so far this whole "X.0
releases are buggy" has been complete predjudiced
conjecture up to this point... mostly from the "I hate
RedHat" crowd.

I migrated 2 dozen machines to RH8.0 in the last 2
weeks, all with different processors (some even
laptops), some fresh installations, others upgrades...
some "out of the box" installs, others custom, etc.
etc.  NOT A SINGLE BUG YET.  hmmmm.  RedHat does what
I need it to do:  bulk installations and network
management with limited time resources.  If you have
ONE machine, by all means use Slackware or Debian or
whatever... but so far, RedHat 8.0 has done incredibly
well... it has far exceeded my expectations.

For instance, it is incredibly nice to have
rhn-network inform me by email when new RPMs are
available.  I have the typical
up2date -u --nox --force
script on every machine that I can trigger remotely.
Never a problem.  Occasionally I might have to reboot
for a new kernel version, or recompile a NVidia driver
for it.  Been slick as snot so far... right out of the
box.  hmmmm.  I'm thinking if it's not broke, don't
fix it.

Oh well just my two cents... where were we?  Oh yeah,
I think someone was discussing the downfall of Linux
being directly correlated with the introduction of
both KDE and Gnome in the same distribution.
Scandalous!  Carry on.