[wplug] SDT-9000 Sony Tape drive and Adaptec 2930U

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Feb 7 12:31:07 EST 2003

Wulf Consulting Linux wrote:
> Because of this:

I'm really confused - you said that the info in /proc/scsi did not show the
device.  Yet it's in the text above (the output of dmesg)?
Are you certain of what is in /proc/scsi?

> That means that the OS sees the drive doesn't it?
	At first glance I'd say yes - but if it's not in /proc then the
running kernel is not aware of it's presence.

> During boot the Card sees the drive on ID 6.
	Standard fare for tapes / optical

> insmod says that the module is already loaded...
	Can you send the output of lsmod and the contents of
/etc/modules.conf?

	Then it's all a matter of the device node.  Look at you old system
and see what the device name & major / minor numbers were:
(on my box)
[root at cdburner dev]# ls -la /dev/st0
crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9,   0 Apr 11  2002 /dev/st0
Major------------------------------------^    ^
Minor-----------------------------------------|

...look at the new system to insure those major / minor numbers are not
taken.  If there is a device there, remove it and re-create it with mknod as
instructed in the prior email.

in /dev:
mknod st0 c 9 0

	You said you were trying to use mt - what happens if you try
tar/cpio?  I'm not familiar with mt - but don't you need to supply an
additional command in your example below??? (like mt -f /dev/st0 eject)
Simply telling it "mt -f /dev/st0"  should get you a syntax error - not a
device error.
[root at cdburner root]# mt -f /dev/st0
usage: mt [-v] [--version] [-h] [ -f device ] command [ count ]

Don