[wplug] apt and rpm/up2date

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Feb 7 12:03:23 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 bgtrio at yahoo.com wrote:
> Apt-get seems to solve a more general problem than up2date, and apt-rpm
> doesn't seem to be "there" yet.  If I'm wrong I would be in the debt of
> whoever exposes my error.

I tend to agree with this. They were created with two different groups in
mind and for different reasons. apt-get is more for geeks by geeks, and
up2date is solving a business revenue problem on the part of Red Hat.

I've tried apt-rpm, autorpm and most recently autoupdate. The last one
I've found to be most useful for me. It does dependancy checking, and can
work without support on the server side. It can be found here:
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/

I have a few wishlist items I would like to see in it, but over all it
works for me.

I can do 'autoget pine' and it will download and install pine and any
missing dependancies. I keep copies of the install CD's available on my
localnetwork, so I don't have the untrusted source problem you mention.

-james