[wplug] IDE RAID controller feedback

jsbillings at mac.com jsbillings at mac.com
Fri Feb 7 10:55:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 08:38, Jim LaSalle wrote:
> Have IDE hardware RAID controllers come of age? Comments on Linux
> friendly IDE RAID controllers are welcome.
>
> Thanks.

I've tested both Promise and Highpoint IDE raid controllers, and neither
really offers true hardware raid.  Both are basically an incremental
step above software raid, the CPU still does the real work.  I've used
one of the Promise external IDE units, and it was kind of neat, but with
a horrible interface.  It basically assumed you wanted to use it with
windows, and any other OS required that you configure it through a
serial port.  But at least it was true hardware RAID.

As Donald Vanco said, if you want to use and IDE Raid controller, be
sure to stick with standard distro kernels, because they like to release
precompiled binaries for specific release kernels.  Since we use our own
custom kernels, this is a pain.

Highpoint has an "Open Source" driver release, but it looks like it's
not really the source, but something like a kernel-independant binary
with enough code to generate a module from this binary.

Jonathan S Billings <jsbillings at mac.com>