[wplug] SDT-9000 Sony Tape drive and Adaptec 2930U

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Feb 7 08:51:37 EST 2003

Lorentz W. Hinrichsen wrote:
> no - I only see the IDE CDRW

	Well, then you've got bigger issues as it's not even being seen by
the bus.  Here's what I might try:

	Verify switch settings per my last email.  I know it worked in the
other box, but it's worth looking at.

	At boot, go into the controller BIOS set up and use the bus scan
utility to insure that the controller is seeing the device.  If it's not -
you've got a dead drive or have not connected system power to it or it's
ID'd wrong - but I'm assuming the controller is intelligent enough to warn
(or at least hang ;) ) on duplicate SCSI ID's.

	If you can't get the controller to see the device then there's not
much point diddling in Linux as the OS is not at fault.

	But - If that's all well then it is certainly an OS issue -
	- try running "insmod st"
[root at cdburner root]# insmod st
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.7.x/kernel/drivers/scsi/st.o
	- as suggested, try using mknode to generate the node (/dev/st0)
	- try using all "known" tape devices (/dev/nst0, /dev/rmt0, etc)
	.....that being said, the fact that the OS does not see it on the
bus is not a good thing - making nodes and loading modules will not make it
appear on the bus.

	At that point I don't even know that re-installing is going to gain
you anything.  However - even before a re-install I'd run an upgrade - yes,
it takes longer than a fresh install (due to it making sweet, sweet love to
the RPM database) but it requires less intervention and will not nuke any
config work you may have done to this point.  An NFS or FTP upgrade would be
even easier as there's no disk swapping.

As an aside FYI - RH8.0 can be installed via ISO images on FTP, NFS, HTTP
shares.  Also - if installing on a system with multiple CD drives you can
put two disks in and the install will find them in turn, allowing you to
replace the first disk with the third disk at your leisure as the install
progresses.  If you have 3 CDs in one box...  you need to hit eBay.

YMMV
Don