[wplug] SDT-9000 Sony Tape drive and Adaptec 2930U

Lorentz W. Hinrichsen linux at wulfconsulting.com
Thu Feb 6 14:40:04 EST 2003

Hello all,

We brought up a Red Hat 8.0 box as a Samba server.. we've been very
successful so far.  We didn't have the Adaptec 2930U when we installed
so we added it after and it seemed to go ok if I do a "dmesg | less" I
can find this reference to the card and drive:

ahc_pci:1:10:0: Someone reset channel A
scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
        <Adaptec 2930CU SCSI adapter>
        aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

blk: queue f794b414, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
  Vendor: SONY      Model: SDT-9000          Rev: 0400
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
blk: queue f7863214, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
scsi : 1 host left.

I was hoping that it would be like my test box at home which has a
similar setup except - dds2 and 2940UW, I can get the status by doing
"mt -f /dev/st0 status" and I can use TAR to backup and restore....

When I do a "mt -f /dev/st0" I just get a "no such device" in the dmesg
on my test box it does list the drive as st0.

Another friend recommended I reinstall Red Hat with the controller and
drive in the system as opposed to trying to add it after the fact.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

--wulf